Since a number of factors are preventing me from flying at present, I had to come up with an alternative method of travel. That’s when I discovered that Airbnb Experiences have gone virtual. Typically, experiences are hosted in person around a specific theme. In the not-so-distant past, you could only enjoy them if you were physically present in the cities in which they were taking place. But due to the state of things, some opportunities are available via Zoom.
Not all in-person experiences are available in a virtual version, but the selection of online options is extensive nonetheless. If you don’t already have an Airbnb account, I highly recommend that you create one so that you can build a proper wish list. I recently discovered that you can only have 30 items on a list; I’m due to start my second one. It’s a good idea to check the lineup periodically because new online experiences are added quite frequently.
Here are the top 15 experiences from my Europe wish list:
- 7 Wonders of Lisbon / Travel to Lisbon virtually.
- Lisbon, my Grandmother and the Locals / Experience Alfama, one of Lisbon’s oldest areas through personal stories.
- Come & Zoom Around Madrid with a Local / Get to know the history, food, local lingo, and customs of Spain’s capital city.
- Paella Experience with a Pro / Cook traditional paella Valenciana in this live, interactive class. You’ll also make a pitcher of sangria.
- One Day in Paris with a Parisian / Wondering where to go in Paris? A local will tell you everything you need to know.
- French Crepe With Apples Cooking Class / Learn how to make a traditional French crepe.
- French Revolution Interactive Journey / Travel back in time to 1789, the year the French Revolution started.
- Irish Village, History, Culture & Craic / Discover hidden Ireland whilst roaming the historic village of Howth with a local and his dog.
- Pompeii With an Archaeologist: Love & Eros / A field trip to Pompeii with a professional archaeologist/tour guide.
- Secrets of Venice with a Born Venetian / See Venice through the eyes of a local who can trace his family’s Venetian heritage back to the sixteenth century.
- Follow a Plague Doctor Through Prague / Wander the empty streets of Prague at night with an 18th-century doctor who fought the Plague.
- Learn About WW2 in Prague With Historian / How did the people of Prague fight the Nazi occupation? A professional tour guide with over ten years of experience shares her passion and expertise.
- Back in Time With My WWII Pen Pal / Travel to 1930s Berlin to hear the remarkable story of a Jewish boy who once lived in our guide’s house.
- Virtual Journey Through Stockholm’s Gems / Visit some of Stockholm’s lesser-known sights whilst learning to interpret building facades.
- Must Dos of St Petersburg in One Day / Experience the history, sights, and cuisine of Saint Petersburg in 90 minutes.
Works Sighted: Somewhere over the UK en route to London Heathrow (September 2018).